Frequently Asked Questions
WEDDINGS AND EVENTS
We’re here to offer a wedding venue in Southern California that cultivates memories for your special day. Many of these questions are covered in detail in our event/wedding planner booklet. Please note that photographs reflect both standard and non-standard (rental) décor and equipment. Some details subject to change without notice. Contact the Catering Department for questions and most current information.
- What is included in the rental/site fees?Set up of the resort tables, chairs, linens, napkins, up to 5 votive candles ($1 per additional) per dinner table, dance floor for indoor events, stage, easels and tear down/clean up. Additional umbrellas, heaters & lighting will be an additional fee. Dancefloor not available for outdoor events. Staging not available on the beach/sand.
- What size tables do you have/use?-Guests usually dine at 72’’ diameter round tables x 32” high. Rental linens should be at least 130” long -Half Round & Rectangular tables also available for various configurations (6ft or 8ft long x 18’’ or 30’’ wide) & they can be combined. -The cake table is usually a 60” round table and comes with skirting to the floor, but other variations are available -Cocktail tables include tall tables & short square 36”x36” tables
- What are the linen colors and sizes?White 90”x90” square linens & napkins. Floor length linen, overlays or other colors and textures may be rented by client, see our vendor list for recommendations. Resort staff will set & remove rented linens, overlays & napkins, It is recommended that these be delivered at least a day prior.
- What are the chair options?-White resin folding chairs with a thin seat pad (usually used for outdoor events) -Mahogany Chiavari chair with ivory chair pad (for Reagan Room events, or based on availability for other venues) -Square Back, Thick Padded Golden/Mocha color (available in any venue, most often used in ballrooms or for custom chair covers)
- What about chair covers & sashes?Custom chair covers & sashes available from Affordable Linens in Ventura to fit our ballroom chairs. Resort staff does not place the covers on the chairs or tie sashes/bows so ensure your rental company will do this for you.
- Can I arrange for another style of chair (like Chivari)?You can rent any style of chair you’d like, see our list of recommended vendors. Arrange for the chairs to be delivered a few hours prior to your event and placed by the rental company. Pick up should be the same nigh, unless otherwise approved by your catering manager one month prior.
- How large is the dance floor?
4ftx4ft squares to fit size of party & venue. No dance floor provided in the Plaza or at the beach or outdoors, you would need to rent one if desired.
- What size stages do you offer for bands?
Our stage pieces are 6ftx8ftx16’’ or 24’’ or 32’’ high. If your band requires a specific dimension, tell your catering manager. There may be a $150 charge for additional power if needed.
- Do you offer space heaters?
No, you need to rent these from a local rental company.
- Is additional lighting needed in the Plaza?
Yes, see the PSAV Special Events brochure, or contact PSAV at 805-884-8507 for a custom quote. Pre Approved non-resort lighting companies do accrue a surcharge to supervise load in/load out of an outside vendor. Additional charges may apply for after-hours load in/out. The client will be financially responsible for any damages that may occur from their lighting/draping vendor.
- What time will the event room be ready for client set up?
Approximately two hours prior to the event start time, or additional if available and pre arranged no more than one month in advance.
- Are there time limits for events?
Six hours from when your guests arrive. This does not include set up or tear down. Additional hours available at $400 per hour. Events in the Plaza, Anacapa Patio or Fiesta Room may not go past 11pm. Last call for alcohol is 1:30am for indoor events.
- Are there noise restrictions?
Music cannot be louder than 90 decibels in any of our event spaces, and must be turned off in the Plaza, Fiesta Room & Anacapa Patio by 11pm.
- What are the due dates for food & beverage guarantees?
Two weeks before the event, please email your catering manager with your estimated guest count. Final guest count due one week before event along with your final diagram and seating chart. Reductions & no-shows will not be credited within 5 days of event.
- Can we make changes to the package or menus?
Yes, contact your Catering Manager. This may change pricing.
- Can we have a Tasting?With a signed contract we offer private, customized tastings 3 to 4 months prior to your wedding date, with a minimum advance confirmation of two weeks. Some restrictions apply. Your coordinator is welcome to join, but not required. Refer to our menu tasting guidelines for additional details.
- Are the Hors d’oeuvres tray passed?
Yes, the “per piece” items can be tray passed. The displayed items like cheese, fruit, vegetables, etc would not be tray passed.
- Can I offer more than one entrée to my guests?
Yes, this is called a split menu and is $4 additional per all guests, per additional option. A chef’s selection of vegetarian/vegan entrée will always be available at no additional fee. You must send your options to your guests on your invitations. Keep track of their responses & choices, & clearly indicate their selection on their place card the night of the wedding.
- Do you offer alternative desserts?Yes, see your Catering Manager for options & pricing.
- Is there a separate cake cutting fee?
If you select our wedding package menus, there is NO additional cake cutting fee. You must arrange for your cake selection & delivery, storage of your cake at the hotel is NOT available. We recommend your cake is scheduled for delivery 1 to 3 hours prior to your dinner/lunch reception. We do not have decorative cake stands.
- Can I bring in outside catering?
Yes, if they provide ethnic style or kosher catering services only. They would not have access to our kitchen but would have space available for their cooking needs. Resort servers and serving equipment is included with a handling fee. See your Catering Manager for additional details.
- Can I bring my own liquor?Outside beer, wine or liquor is not permitted in our restaurant or banquet venues and must be purchased thru the Resort according to our liquor license and prevailing liquor laws.
- Are vendor meals available?
Several options are available, suggestions include “to go” meals, or they can dine in our Café or Bar (most popular). Either option approx. $30 per person.
- Are children’s meals available?
Several menu options available for children 4 to 12 years of age. Price is $22++ per child. For buffet selections, charge will be half of adult price.
- Rehearsal meals & Post Wedding Brunch options?
Many great options exist. Contact your Catering Manager for availability & menu options.
- How does the room block work?
Discounts on guestrooms are available with a minimum contract and guarantee of 10 rooms per night. Your Catering Manager will send a contract upon request.
- When can we check in to our guestrooms?
Check In is at 4p.m. Check Out is 12p.m. No guarantees for early check in times, which are not usually available during summer weekends.
- Is there a “changing room” available to the bridal party?
We recommend you use the guestroom that is included in your wedding menu package. Discounts are available for upgrading to a larger suite for the night prior and night of your wedding. A small meeting room can also be reserved for an additional fee, if needed.
- Is there a schedule of Holidays/Events in Santa Barbara?
Yes, please see our wedding/events booklet or ask your Catering Manager.
- Do you have a list of Wedding Coordinators and vendors you recommend?
Yes, please see our website vendor list, or ask your Catering Manager. You are not required to use only these vendors, however, all vendors are required to provide proof of insurance to the resort before the event.
- Is there a deposit?There is a NON REFUNDABLE deposit of $4000 required to secure your space. Reduced deposit amount may be available for parties less than 60 guests.
- Do you require insurance?
We do not require proof of insurance from you, the client. Your vendors are required to provide proof of insurance prior to the event.
- Is there a charge for parking?
Yes, there is a charge for both self-parking and valet service. Ask your Catering Manager for the most current pricing or if you’d like to host parking for your guests. Event parking arrangements may differ from guestroom parking charges.
- Are there any additional costs that could accrue?
Yes, depending on what your additional needs may be such as changes to published menus, heaters, umbrellas, guestrooms, necessary lighting or audio services, or additional staff. At any time, your Catering Manager can prepare a quote based on your communicated needs that include anticipated charges, service fees & sales tax.
- What is the “service fee”?
This is, in part, distributed to servers at your event. It is not negotiable and is mandatory therefore according to state tax laws, must be taxed. Although it may change, the current service fee is 21%.
- Do I need to provide additional gratuities?
No, however, our servers, bellmen, banquet captains and staff appreciate the recognition of their efforts, especially if they are exemplary.
- What is a “BEO”?A “Banquet Event Order” is a highly detailed document prepared by your catering manager, after your detailing (approx 3 months before your event). This will include specifics about your menu, bar, agenda, vendors and set up. It will be updated as you get closer to your event, and will require your signature when finalized, just prior to your event. You may write in changes on your final signed copy.
- When is the final payment due?3 days prior to your event all estimated charges are due in full. Your Catering Manager will provide you with a detailed final estimate & balance due. You may choose to make pre payments between your initial booking and final event, this is recommended. Half of your initial contract deposit will not be credited as a pre payment, but will be refunded AFTER the event (or balance thereof), after all event charges are finalized.
- What forms of payments are accepted?
Credit cards are recommended, but we can also take cashier’s checks. Your signature on a credit card form is required for each card used. This form is provided by the Catering Department and with your contract. You should call your credit card company prior to any hotel charges to ensure your funds and authorize the charge.
- What about personal checks?
Personal checks are not accepted within two weeks of the event. All checks can be made out to “Fess Parker’s Doubletree Resort”.